Thursday, May 13, 2010

Kids Bento Box for Adults

Fumiko, another meat lover among my foodie friends, was craving meatballs. I didn't even ask her why, because the reason or her motivation was not important. All I needed to hear was "I want meatballs!"

I had made meatball stew in the past for kids party catering. So I reproduced the same recipe, although I was out of cans of Heinz demi glace sauce and made it from scratch by using my cheat tricks (canned tomatoes, onion, celery, red wine, etc). Meatballs are kids favorite items in Okosama Lunch (kids plate) at casual restaurants and cafes in Japan. Everyone has fond memories of Okosama lunch, but usually you have to be under a certain age (usually 6 years old??) to be "eligible" to order Okosama lunch (what's up with that!?)

Anyway, so here it is; my version of Okosama Lunch bento box for sophisticated adults :-)

Menu: meatballs with creamy tomato & red wine sauce, spaghetti with parsley, fried scallops and fries with hommade tartar sauce, butter rice pilaf with fresh English peas, shrimp toast, octopus wienies, tandoori chicken (this was just added sponteneously ;-))


(Photograghs by Fumiko)


No comments: